- 608 words
- 4 min
This is the 05 installment in my 'Monthlog' - a public list of blog posts, announcements, videos, podcasts, software and libraries that catch my attention each month. I hope that regular readers will skim through the listings and find one, or multiple, things that pique their interest.
I didn't do a good job with the monthlog this time. Expect a more thorough monthlog in future.
Note: Posts are not ordered in any particular way. If you find an article you think I might like, send it to me via one of the messaging channels on my homepage.
How Tailscale Works - There are new few new entrants to the private VPN space popping up. The good thing is many of them are fully or partially open source. If you're interested in this kind of thing, take a look at Nebula. Discussion on HN
Dave Cheney: The Zen of Go - Every programming language has its own set of idioms, culture, and values. I think that understanding the programming beliefs of language authors helps me gain a broader picture of how to code and systems can and should be architected.
- Lifetimes - Rust - I'm still trying to fully wrap my head around actually using lifetimes in Rust. Even if you don't write Rust, you may find this video interesting as the lifetime mechanism is quite novel and often helps people reason about non-Rust code. Discussion on r/rust
Go Time: The Zen of Go w/ Dave Cheney - To accompany the blog post linked previously, Dave Cheney discusses the Zen of Go.
SE Daily: Alpaca Stock Trading API w/ Yoshi Yokokawa - Finance and tech mix in interesting ways. Alpaca brings an API to stockbrokers.
Software and Libraries
Recommended Sources to Follow
Below are a few media sources and voices I follow.
- Matthias Endler: Rust developer and host of 'Hello, Rust!'
- Paul Graham: Member of YC, offers insightful well-written posts about business and software.
- Victor Zhou: Recent Princeton CS Graduate publishing informative guides with some focus on Machine Learning.
- Francesc Campoy: Gopher and JustForFunc host.
- Deterministic.Space - Pascal Hertleif's blog (g/KillerCup): Mostly Rust stuff.
- This Week In Rust - Rust news every week.
- EthHub Weekly - Weekly Ethereum updates, a quick paragraph summarising each headline.
- The Changelog: 'Conversations with the hackers, leaders, and innovators of software development.'
- Software Engineering Daily: Daily conversations covering anything Software Development related.
- Linux Unplugged: A Jupiter Broadcasting show. Relaxed, focused on Linux but touches on all things Unix and Open Source.
- Invest Like the Best: Finance and investing podcast often featuring Crypto.
- Y Combinator: Conversations with Y Combinator founders.
- Into the Ether: 'Focusing on all things Ethereum, the leading blockchain for decentralized applications.'